Monday 5 December 2011

My First Visit to Yii-Tou....

I missed the opening of Yii-Tou because I was gallivanting around New Zealand.  That was about 2 weeks ago.  There were some horror stories from my sister of the late nights with her partners renovating and putting all the finishing touches in time for the designated "good day and good hour".  They needed all the divine help they can get as they embarked on their new venture.  In a nutshell, Yii-Tou is all about creativity and individuality, a labour of love by the owners who appreciate beauty, craft and design. 

I was curious how the shop looked, and feeling guilty for not having lifted a finger to help.  So after recuperating from trekking around with 10kg pack on my back (ok, maybe I exaggerate a little to get some admiration here...), I finally visited the shop today.  The signage at the ground door entrance looked really elegant and I was totally floored by the hand-crafted wooden logo at the shop door front.  This was designed and made by Kim, one of Yii-Tou's partners.

Yii-Tou logo in hand-crafted wood


Stepping into the shop itself, I was greeted with earthy colours that were pleasing to the eye and muted, soft lights which offered the right amount of brightness, and yet provided a cosy, warm feel to the place.  The layout was spacious and the use of curtains instead of doors to divide up the space created the feeling of accessibility. 


The overall look was spiced up with bright splashes of colour from the beautiful shawls, fabrics and lovely prints cleverly used by Ivy, who showcased her first collection very tastefully.  I've always thought of batik-like prints to be fuddy-duddy, buy Ivy made them look cool and retro.  And best of all, they all looked so comfortable!  Best type of clothing for well-proportioned women like me, ahem!



Of course, there are designs which help accentuate the cut of the body too....


But the finishing touches really showed me the thought and passion that Yii-Tou's partners are putting into their business...

Sequinned dragonflies on the aircon controls

Paper dragonflies

My sister has asked me to select a birthday present for myself from the shop.... I'm sure I'll have a good time choosing :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment